The Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia (ICIQ) is seeking a Laboratory Technician.
ICIQ is committed to performing excellent research at the frontier of knowledge in the broad area of chemistry (Catalysis, Artificial Photosynthesis, Activation of Small Molecules, Photovoltaics, Functional Molecular Assemblies and Chemical Biology, from either theoretical or experimental perspectives). The institute also aims at training the future generation of scientists by offering high-quality educational programs to master, PhD students and postdoctoral researchers (Full details on http://www.iciq.org/).
Our mission is to lead, from the vantage point of molecular science, cross-strategies for solving major social and economic challenges, such as climate change and sustainable supply of energetic and raw materials, thereby contributing to the establishment of a knowledge-based economy and improving citizens’ quality of life in our influence area.
ICIQ is looking for a Laboratory Technician with Studies in Chemistry or related scientific discipline to join the research group of Prof. Paolo Melchiorre. The Laboratory Technician is responsible for the regular maintenance of the lab equipment with great emphasis on safety management. An active attitude in keeping up with new developments in organic synthesis is important.
1 – Coordinate Health and Safety (H&S) matters
- Ensure Health & Safety compliance for all operations and spaces in the laboratory of the Melchiorre Group.
- Oversee storage and disposal of hazardous chemicals
- Ensure that the laboratories are compliant on all risk assessments and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) forms, and that all other relevant documentation is completed and maintained
- Ensure that relevant Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is used where appropriate
2 – Provide general technical support for all research lab activities:
- Carry out day-to-day maintenance of laboratory equipment e.g. balances, vacuum pumps, HPLC & GC-Mass instrumentation, UltraPerformance Chromatography (UPC2).
- Maintain general laboratory supplies and stocks e.g. solvents, chemicals, vials.
- Ensure general tidiness in the laboratories
- Supervise users when working in the laboratories
- Introduce (PhD) students to novel equipment.
3 – Maintain Lab databases:
- Maintain databases of equipment, chemicals etc.
- Maintain data libraries and databases associated with instrumentation
- Use of booking and finance tool (SAP) for purchasing chemicals and equipment.
4 – Coordinate and oversee ICIQ contractors and engineers for purchasing the instrumentation or infrastructure of the Laboratories.